Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Just Tyrus, a book review

 


Just Tyrus

A book review of Just Tyrus

Written by Jim “Gymbeaux” Brown May 25, 2022



You may have seen him on The Five on FOX or on GUTFELD! Also, on FOX.  You may have seen him in a professional wrestling ring.  But you have never seen him as he describes his life in this book about his life; the good, the bad and the ugly. 

It is difficult to say I “like” this book but there is no question that George Murdock, much better known as “Just Tyrus” had what most people would call a very difficult childhood and it is hard to “like” what you read.  Shocked may be a better word.  I also thought, but for the grace of God, there go I, meaning it is NOT something I would ever want to experience and would never want anyone else to experience.  It would be unfortunate if people were to shy away from the book because of the “street language” contained therein and if so, it would be their loss.  Tyrus explains better than I have ever heard it explained what it means to be Black and how his skin color sometimes got in the way where people may have judged him because of his skin color.  At other times he “perceived” being judged by the color of skin when in fact he probably was not.  

Like everyone, Tyrus experienced some lows, actually some really bad lows in his life.  He has obviously experienced some very high highs as well and thankfully, he has learned to be at peace with his past and his present, something that a lot of us cannot say.  This is a book of triumph over environment, over deception, and over evil.  It is a book, in my opinion, well worth reading. 

Would I read it again?  I doubt it because it is not that type of book.  Once you read it, you get out of it what the author wanted you to learn and there is no need to revisit the material. 

Would I give it as a gift?  Difficult question because of the “street language” contained in the book.  Some people could not get past the street language to get to the lessons in the book.  It would therefore not be a good gift for some but would be for most. 

Do I recommend the book?  ABSOLUTELY!  Everyone could learn from the story of Tyrus.  My guess is that there will eventually be a sequel and honestly, I can’t wait to read that one as well.


No comments: