Thursday, April 12, 2018

The Heart of a Nurse Leader Book Review


By Bob Dent and Joe Tye

A Book Review by Jim “Gymbeaux” Brown, April 12, 2018

Disclaimer.  I have read just about everything Joe Tye has written/published so I am a bit biased in my opinion of this book.  Nonetheless – it is a great book.

Do NOT let the title dissuade you from reading it if you are not involved in the Healthcare Industry.  You could easily substitute REALTOR® for Nurse or Car Salesman for Nurse or just about any profession imaginable for Nurse and the book would still not only be applicable, it would be a very useful guide to creating a better business/profession.

Dent and Tye lay out what it takes to be a leader.  Therefore if you have no desire to be a leader or if you have no desire for your business to operate at a higher level where employees love what they do and do what they love, then you probably should not read this book.  If on the other hand you want not only your employees to be happier and therefore more productive but for you to also be happier and more productive I would encourage you to read this book.  Once you have read it and agree with my assessment and I know you will, buy copies and give them out to your employees.

I retired after 33 plus years in the real estate business as a salesman, broker, manager, trainer and owner.  As I read this book I constantly thought of my real estate agents and how the book would apply to them.  When you read the book I am confident you will do the same for your business whether that is in the Healthcare Industry or some other profession.  It applies to everyone!

The book is positive!  It builds your attitude!  It provides a roadmap to guide you to better thinking.  It also serves as a guide to evaluate where you presently are as compared to where you want to be and then shows you a path as to how to get to where you want to be. 

Who should read this book?  EVERYONE!  Would I read it again?  Most definitely.  Would I give it as a gift?  Absolutely! 

Note:  We all see doctors from time to time, some of us more often than others.  Why not buy a couple of copies of the book, personalize them and then give them to the nurses in the offices/hospitals you routinely visit.  Make sure you write a personal note on the inside cover to let the Nurse(s) know how much them mean to you.

No comments: