Monday, October 21, 2024

Do Your Children and Yourself A Favor!

 DO YOUR CHILDREN AND YOURSELF A FAVOR!
MUSIC AND BRAIN WAVES

By Jim "Gymbeaux" Brown, October 21, 2024

I find it both funny and strange that as I grow older, how many times I find it difficult to remember things like names and dates but other things that have proved to be of great importance in my life, linger in the mind as if they just happened.  One of those “things” is the great affect listening to the “proper” type of music has on the brain as to what you can learn and create.

The class was held in Picayune, Mississippi and was organized and scheduled by RE/MAX Dixie Region for its RE/MAX agents in Southern Louisiana and South Mississippi.  The presenter was  BOB DAVIS.  I vividly remember his message when he talked about the success the East German athletes were having as compared to athletes from around the world including the United States.  Why were they performing at such a higher rate of achievement than their competitors?  MUSIC!!!!!  Not just any music, BAROQUE MUSIC!   So simple but so effective as I have proven to myself MULTIPLE TIMES!  This was the time BEFORE computers became prominent.  Programs like Spotify did not exist.  Davis promoted a CD that had multiple variations of just one musical piece – THE CANON!  I bought one of his CDs and still have it. 

FROM THE LINK BELOW: Why Baroque Music? Research reveals that Baroque music pulses between 50 to 80 beats per minute. Baroque music "stabilizes mental, physical and emotional rhythms," according to Chris Boyd Brewer, "to attain a state of deep concentration and focus in which large amounts of content information can be processed and learned."

The funny thing about The Canon, just about everyone has heard it multiple times but could probably not be able to name it.  It is played at almost every wedding.  It can sound classical or it can sound jazzy, easy listening, or just about any music genre you choose. 

I could try to explain it to you and it would take a scientist to do so; I am not a scientist. I can, however read and I can apply this oh so easy principle to prove to myself that it works.  I challenge everyone to give it a try.  First, I challenge you to read and absorb the message on the following link regarding Baroque Music.  I know, I know, it’s categorized as being classical music, sort of but just about everyone has heard the most popular of Baroque Music – THE CANON.  If you are a member of Spotify (and you should be), you can download the music free of charge.  If you want the music less the advertising there is a subscription that you can sign up for (which I have, love it).  The advantage of this shines like a beacon when you use music such as The Canon to study by.  When you use it to study, you do not want interruptions with the advertisements that would be spaced out while you are listening.

For the record, I created a playlist on my Spotify account that contains SEVEN hours of different versions of The Canon because I know how much this technique works.  In short, it involves brain waves.  Everyone’s brain gives off brain waves as do the various selections of Baroque music; the waves match each other.  As Davis explained, listening to the Baroque Music opens pathways into the brain and enables the listener to increase the ability to focus on what they want to achieve or accomplish.  It was hard for me at first to believe that listening to music could do that.  If you want to hear the playlist I created, you first must have a Spotify account (Spotify.com) and hopefully you can open this link to my playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7d9W2VFfEnYdIWttZi7Ysw?si=425232dcedbf4ae3

As a side note, I have read almost every one of Wallace D. Wattles books that he wrote in the 1900s.  In almost every book, he referred to “thinking in a certain way.”  Never has that been more evident than when Davis taught about listening to Baroque Music.  You don’t actually listen as you study or write or think about what is about to happen next (athletes).  The music is just on and you are actually focusing more on the task at hand than the music itself.  Don’t take my word for it when I tell you IT WORKS, try it for yourself and judge for yourself.

What’s important is that different music has different results.  If you or your children want to learn more and choose to listen to music while they study or write, listening to popular electronically generated music of the day mixes the brain’s ability to learn while listening.  Listening to Baroque Music opens the brain to learning and retaining more.  It’s that simple!

If you want to give your children a “leg up” on being able to better study and retain what they are studying, ask them to just give it a try.  The music is at least calming.  It is on as I write this.  I play it when I want to read a book.  I also play it when I just want to relax, totally relax!

http://brainbasedbiz.blogspot.com/2007/04/baroque-music-helps-you-focus.html

ps:  There is another benefit of playing music when your children are present.  They remember that they listened to the music with you.  I know there are two such musical pieces that every time I heard them, memories of my Dad immediatly come to mind and that is a good memory to have.  Such as The Swinging Stars and Stripes by Henri Rene's Orchestra.  

And Walkin by Larry Elgart

No comments: