Sunday, July 5, 2020




The TRUE STORY of the WOMAN
Who Became WWII’s Most Highly Decorated Spy
A book review by Jim “Gymbeaux” Brown, July 5, 2020





WOW!

I don’t know about most people but I have always wondered how I would have responded to the events of World War II.  I have made it my intent to watch as many documentaries and read selective books about the War and I am in awe regarding the courageous men and women who faced horrors the likes of which very few of today’s youth will ever experience; I hope.  It does raise an interesting question and that is would today’s youth respond as the youth of the 30’s and 40’s did?

This book was definitely a page turner for me.  It’s about a French woman who married and moved to England prior to the commencement of WWII.  Because she was fluent in the French language and knew her way around France, she was asked to consider joining the British forces as a spy working for the allies.  She was the mother of 3 girls and you would have thought that becoming a spy would not be something she would consider, yet it was because of her three daughters she felt the need to do something to help the war effort.

Her story was riveting and I could not put the book down.  The description of what happened during her time being a captive of the Germans with a death sentence already determined was not something you see in the documentaries of WWII.  The book is about her ordeals, her life, her love of another spy within her circle, her determination, and her desire to make a difference and of course how it all turned out.  To say any more would do the book an injustice and may discourage readers of this review from reading the book.

Who should read this book?  That’s a great question.  Given the subject matter, WWII, most people won’t take the time to read it.  I can assure you that in this case the truth of what happened is much better than any book of fiction you could ever read.  Everyone would benefit from the book but I think young women would benefit the most. 
Would I read it again?  There would be no need to read it again.  Her story is her story and it won’t change nor would I gain any further insight into what transpired.
Would I give it as a gift?  ABSOLUTELY!

No comments: