Thursday, April 18, 2019

You ARE The Placebo!



A Book Review by Jim “Gymbeaux” Brown, April 18, 2019
Reader Note:  Words appearing in BLUE mean they are links to web sites





I watched and listened intently to an Internet Documentary Series titled Broken Brain 2.  Why was that important?  It explains how this book by Dr. Dispenza came to be in my possession.  There was a physician featured on the presentation and unfortunately I did not write her name down to give her credit, who said, “I will not see a new patient until the patient reads You Are the Placebo.”  Think about that for just a moment.  Doctors earn a living by seeing a patient and then being paid by the patient and/or the patient’s health insurance company.  What better motivation to read a book for me who will probably never be a patient of the doctor making the recommendation, especially since I can’t remember her name.

I purchased the book with some reservations.  Whenever I have read a book written by a medical doctor I am usually overwhelmed with all the medical terms used and then followed by an in depth discussion as to what the terms mean, etc.  I bought the book anyway as should you.

It would be my estimate that about 5% of the book contains medical terms I cannot pronounce nor that I will ever remember;  nor do I have need to.  But for the remaining 95% of the book, all I can say is WOW! 

First a disclaimer.  To some the contents of this book will be beyond what they have come to believe and frankly that is what part of the book describes.  For others like me, I have always felt that the brain was more than capable of self-healing the body but until now, I do not know if anyone was sure as to how to tap into the ability.  I was fascinated by Dr. Dispenza’s personal story about his bike and SUV accident and how he recovered.  To put it into perspective and hopefully without getting too personal, I am experiencing severe pain in my left hip and thigh and the pain suddenly and magically appeared immediately following major back surgery; the pain is not near where the actual back repair was performed.  The surgeon performing the surgery doesn’t seem to know what to do to relieve the pain.  So I began researching pain that involved taking A Great Course (company name) course on Pain Management as well as reading several books and articles on pain and pain management.  I felt I need to “manage” the pain because a cure didn’t seem like it was going to appear in my life.  Would the contents of this book apply to me and relieve me of the pain I was experiencing?  Still even more important to me, would this book validate my belief that the brain could actually heal the body if someone were to show me how to tap into that ability?

Only time will tell if my personal physical pain is relieved because I happened to read this book.  If it does I will certainly revised my comments regarding the book.

As you read Dispenza’s book you quickly learn of stories of people who have used the power described in the book both consciously and subconsciously to change what the brain and the body has heretofore been trained to believe.  Once you believe something to be true, it takes a great will power and attitude change to redefine that belief or like in my case it takes the need to find relief for my personal pain to find an alternative to what doctors have been unsuccessfully doing to relieve my pain.  In my judgment I felt, “heck what have I got to lose by trying it?”  I do feel, however, that I would have a “leg up” on others that read the book because of this review, but who do not as yet believe as I do that the brain can heal the body.  Being able to open the brain to a new thought is critical as Dr. Dispenza points out before someone can actually believe in something new to the old ways of thinking.  By “old ways of thinking” I mean yours and my old ways of thinking, not old ways meaning something old because of passing time.

There would be no point in telling you what is in the book because I could never do it justice.  What I can tell you is that I truly believe that everyone could benefit from reading it and I do mean everyone.  Why do I say this?  Because as I read it, I envisioned real estate agents who were stuck in a place and who didn’t seem capable of making the changes they need to make to make a difference.  So just about everyone could benefit whether they have a chronic illness or not. Still, if you are extremely skeptical, I doubt the book would be of much value even in the face of facts, logic and common sense.

After I was about half way through the book, I purchased a downloadable MP3 file created by Dr. Dispenza.  Again, WOW!  Not sure I have ever paid such close attention to any MP3 or CD like his Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself Book Meditations.  Best $6.00 I have spent in some time if ever!


Who should read the book?  Everyone!
Would I read it again?  Sections of the book, absolutely!
Would I refer the books to my friends and family?  Absolutely, already have
Would I buy the book as a gift?  Probably but not if I thought the receiver of the book had a closed mind to such knowledge as it would then serve no purpose.


No comments: