Saturday, August 12, 2017

He Is Talking About Me!

OMG; HE IS TALKING/ABOUT ME!
By Jim “Gymbeaux” Brown, August 10, 2017




I have become a reader/lover of all things written by Orison Swett Marden who wrote his books in the late 1890s early 1900s.  Most of his books deal with how to become successful and what holds most people back from achieving that objective. 

This book, Why Grow Old? is different.  As I began reading it I felt like Marden and I were sitting at a coffee shop enjoying a cup of coffee and then it his me – Oh My God (OMG), he is talking about and to me!  I am at a point in my life where he has described some of my thoughts.

Let’s first set the stage.  I am 72 years old.  I have a lot of physical issues that were created many years ago through my involvement in sporting activities.  I have had 9 surgeries just on my left knee.  I have had both shoulders repaired.  I have had cateract surgeries on both eyes.  Plus several other issues the latest of which is spinal stenosis of the lower back making it difficult to walk any distance without experience pain in my lower back and lower legs.  I have a lot of reasons to think about how I have grown old as Marden writes about in his book.

From the book on the opening pages, emphasis is mine:

“The face cannot betray the years until the mind has given its consent. The mind is the sculptor," "We renew our bodies by renewing our thoughts; change our bodies, our habits, by changing our thoughts." In those phrases, the author summarizes a way of living, full of self-healing and vitality.  In the end, we don’t need all the money in the world, if we lose our health and the joy of living.

Most of Marden’s books are about how to become successful through character building and thinking in a certain way.  As the above excerpt indicates, all the success in the world won’t mean very much if we lose our health and subsequently our capacity for enjoying our success and wealth or even prematurely die all due to ill health.  More importantly he talks about that when we think about growing old we then begin to act old in the way we dress and the activities we engage in or not engage in.  In other words we become the mental picture we have created of what an older person looks like and acts like.  But it need not be so!

Marden’s advice on growing old is quite simple and is in keeping with what a lot of other people have already said.  We become more of whatever it is we think about most.  Therefore if we think about growing old, we grow old.  If we think about sickness and ill health, we experience sickness and ill health.  On the reverse side of that thought process; if we think about success, we become successful.  If we think about great health and staying young we experience great health and we stay young.  BUT HE DOES NOT STOP WITH JUST THE THOUGHT.  He goes on to explain HOW science supports his believe in how to stay young in our looks, in how we act and the activities we engage in.  Young people reading this may think the book is not for them but they would be wrong.  Marden further explains that to be able to think in a certain way first requires  the knowledge behind the why that our thoughts are important and then suggests that we create the habit of thinking in a certain way.  The best time to begin this process is when we are young, not wait until we begin to grow older physically and mentally before we begin work on creating the correct mental thoughts.


It’s a short book, it’s a great book and best of all it costs only 99 cents on Amazon.com as a Kindle read.  In my opinion, the book is priceless!  For just 99 cents, what have you got to lose?

No comments: