Monday, November 11, 2019





A Book Review by Jim “Gymbeaux” Brown, November10, 2019
Reader Note:  Words appearing in BLUE mean they are links to web sites




Anyone my age grew up in the 50s and we all were well aware of the story of The Alamo, Davy Crocket, Jim Bowie and its many heroes.  What I did not know was the history of incidents leading up to the Alamo and then following the defeat at the Alamo that all resulted in Texas winning its independence from Mexico.  What I also didn’t realize until I read the book was that there were at least TWO Revolutionary Wars in America with the second being in Texas BEFORE it became part of America.  Even so it was a Revolutionary War that was fought primarily by Americans from all parts of the south, east and north.

We all know the story of The Alamo but as famed radio announcer Paul Harvey oftentimes said, “and now for the rest of the story!”  This is the rest of the story about not only The Alamo but also the fight for Texas independence.

I have read other books written by Brian Kilmeade and found them all to be very well written, well researched and held my interest and this book is no different.  It is a history book, no doubt.  It is also to some degree a graphic depiction of what happened at not only the Alamo in San Antonio but also the city of Goliad, Texas and the subsequent battle that lasted just 18 minutes that defeated the professional Mexican army led by Santa Anna.  It is also a complementation of letters, discussions and speeches that redirected the birth of a nation – Texas.  One of the things I was unaware of was the incivility demonstrated by El Presedente Santa Anna when it came to the outright murder of Americans taken prisoner during the war for independence. 

This is the story of a great many American heroes the least of which was Sam Houston and the politics involved at that time in the history of Texas.  It is a book that I really could not put down.  Some books take days, weeks and even months to read and digest; not this one!  It is a great read that I highly recommend everyone read. 

Who should read this book?  I would recommend it to everyone!  It’s that good!
Would I read it again?  I doubt I would read it again but I would certainly look up references contained in the book.
Would I give it as a gift?  I definitely would! 

No comments: