THOUGHTS ON SGT BERGHDAL
By Jim "Gymbeaux" Brown, December 13, 2015
On the surface this should be a simple and very straight forward case of a soldier deserting his post and his troops during a time of war. Throughout the history of warfare there have been deserters, some shot on the spot, but most ran FROM the battle instead of TO the enemy as Berghdal did. Attorneys tend to throw in facts not in evidence just to confuse the issues but the only fact that remains valid is that he deserted his post and fellow troops during the course of battle.
The REAL question is why has he not been brought to justice? Can you think of any legal cases that did not involve a murder that has taken as long as the Berghdal case has taken for it to come to trial?
Let's look at what we do know.
1. Berghdal enlisted in the U. S. Coast Guard; most people are unaware of this. Within a couple of weeks of attending Coast Guard Boot Camp, Berghdal was declared not fit to continue and was discharged from the Coast Guard. First question that should have been asked by the U. S .Army was, WHY? http://time.com/2861963/the-significance-of-bergdahls-washing-out-of-the-coast-guard/
2. Berghdal spent almost 5 years with the enemy. During that time it has been reported that he converted to Islam and declared jihad. During those 5 years, several U. S. American servicemen lost their lives while searching for Berghdal the deserter. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/06/exclusive-bergdahl-declared-jihad-secret-documents-show.html
3. President Obama arranged for a swap of 5 known Islamic high ranking officers of the enemy for Berghdal and even went so far to conduct a Rose Garden ceremony with Berghdal's parents to announce the swap and release of Berghdal. https://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2014/05/31/president-obama-speaks-recovery-sgt-bowe-bergdahl
4. The Berghdal Swap was most likely illegal. http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/21/justice/bergdahl-prisoner-exchange/
5. Lt. Col. Mark Visger recommended that Berghdal SHOULD NOT face jail time. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/10/military-officer-recommends-bowe-bergdahl-shouldnt-face-jail-time-punitive/
The desertion should stand alone and not be confused by all the political activities of the President of the United States legal and otherwise.
Berghdal having deserted during war time could face and probably should face the death penalty.
The President should be legally investigated for breaking the law by releasing the enemy prisoners without the approval of the U. S. Congress.
The President should be legally investigated for putting American lives in jeopardy as a result of the release of the 5 enemy prisoners who have since rejoined the fight against America.
The President should be legally investigated for interfering with the due process of legal action being taken against a Deserter. This case should have been tried months and months ago. What was the cause of the delay? We will probably not know for certain for a long time but on the surface it appears that it is strictly political - President Obama cannot afford to have all the facts ever surface, especially while he is still in office.
Sadly, not on trial and I know not why, is the U. S. Army. Why did they permit Berghdal to join the service knowing that the U. S. Coast Guard found him not fit for military service? There should have been a huge red flag regarding his fitness yet they enlisted him nonetheless. Why? Who authorized it? What has happened to that person's career? Actions have consequences and acceptance of Berghdal into the Army certainly had negative consequences when you consider that his prior declaration of unfitness should have prevented his enlistment. If the U. S. Army declares that they "did not know about his unfitness" that scares me more than someone just making a mistake. If the U. S. Army cannot properly vet a U. S. Citizen for enlistment, how is the government going to properly vet refugees coming to America?
It is long overdue that Berghdal should have been brought to justice!