Monday, April 6, 2020

Must Read For Sales Folks!



A book review written by Jim “Gymbeaux” Brown, April 6, 2020
Anything appearing in BLUE is a link to a web site



Before I read a book, I am usually well aware of who wrote it and what it is about.  That is why almost all of my book reviews bear 5 stars.  If the book wasn’t worth reading, I knew it in advance and I don’t attempt to read it.  I have rarely been disappointed. I HAVE NEVER BEEN DISAPPOINTED IN ANYTHING JEFFREY GITOMER HAS WRITTEN AND THAT I HAVE READ!  THIS BOOK IS NO EXCEPTION!

I do not like to read reviews BEFORE I read a book because the review may discourage me from reading it.  AFTER I read the book I had to laugh when I read this one: “Part of the book is the author bragging about himself and what he has done.  I then wondered how many people that read that one sentence may have used it to not read the book and that would be a real shame. 

In a sentence, it would be impossible for anyone paying attention to read this book to not come away with a more positive attitude and/or discover something that would make them more productive and therefore more profitable.  Have you heard or read some of the material elsewhere?  Maybe if you read books or attend seminars.  But few people actually read books anymore, at least according to some of the studies I have seen published.

The book is full of sentences and quotes that will or should make you pause and think and then assess the message as compared to your life and your business.  Do these sentences sound familiar as to what you do or not do?  I am not as experienced as Gitomer is in business and sales but I have spent 33 years in the real estate business and have been close with hundreds of agents.  Sadly, I can see a great many of them, as well as myself, on the pages in this book.  Why is someone successful and why is someone else not?  Gitomer spells it out and contrary to the quote above, how can you demonstrate that better than by sharing what you have done yourself?  You do it by having been there and understanding and studying what happened.  You justify what you say by sharing your own experiences.  It is not about theory.  It is life’s lessons learned on the street.

I retired in 2012 after 33 years in the real estate business, as I have stated, and also after another 20 years in the U. S. Coast Guard.  I have worked with and around thousands of people.  I have read all of Gitomer’s books.  But this one inspired me to get up off my retired behind and do something instead of doing what I have been doing over the past 7 years which is basically nothing.  The book inspired me to write a book of my own primarily to give to my own children but who knows where it may lead.  I have already spent hours to achieve that goal and I have Jeffrey Gitomer and his book to thank.

Who should read this book?  Anyone in business but especially anyone in sales.
Would I read it again?  Based on my past history of reading Gitomer’s books, yes.  I have read many of them more than twice.  The YES!Attitude more than a dozen times.
Would I give it as a gift?  Absolutely!

No comments: