Monday, September 2, 2013

What Do Teachers Make?



NUGGETS FOR THE NOGGIN
What Do Teachers Make?
By Jim “Gymbeaux” Brown, September 2, 2013

Today I was sent a YouTube link called What Do Teachers Make?  You can find it at:   ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU Taylor Mali and I encourage you to go there to watch, listen and hopefully learn.  It is outstanding!

It caused me to think about being a teacher.  I do not have a degree from a University that indicates I am a teacher or that I graduated with a degree in education.  In spite of this personal shortcoming, I am and have been a teacher and am very proud of it.

There is an excellent web site regarding left-brain and right-brain teachers and students.  http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/left-brainright-brain   Again, I highly recommend that you go there to read and hopefully learn.

You would think that a left-brain person would make the best teachers because they would be detail orientated, like the quiet classroom and structured agenda for teaching and you would probably be right. 

In reading the above article it reinforced my belief that I am a right-brain person in a left-brain world.  I like to color outside the lines.  I like music.  I like to write.  I like to start something and see it finished in the shortest period of time.  I like to think up “stuff” and then have others finish it not to be confused with starting a project and handing it off for others to finish.

Having said that and in spite of that – I am a teacher.  What do I make as a teacher?  If your immediate thought is in reference to money, I don’t and never have made a great deal of money doing what I love to do – teach.  I first taught my military skill in the U. S. Coast Guard.  At the risk of sounding immodest, I thought I was pretty good at what I did in the Coast Guard.  That does not mean I was perfect only that I was pretty good.  The Coast Guard selected me to be one of the instructors (teachers) of my elected skill to others.  I jokingly told my students that I wanted them to be “mini-me’s” long before that term was ever used in the movies.  Again, it was not out of immodesty, it was simply out of the belief that I believed in doing things the right way all the time!

Then I became a real estate agent and then broker and discovered that I had skills from the Coast Guard that easily applied to the real estate business and that many of the agents in my office did not have them.  As a result they often looked to the “new guy” for help, especially on anything dealing with computers.  Therefore, even though I was a brand new agent there was a degree of acceptance because I was able to “help” someone else get what they want.  While I had never heard of Zig Ziglar (www.ZigZiglar.com) or Jeffrey Gitomer (www.JeffreyGitomer.com), that became my mission in life, helping others.  I first heard Zig Ziglar say it, “To get what you want in life, just help someone else get what they want!”  I lived by that statement for the next 20 or so years.  Then I heard Jeffrey Gitomer literally put an exclamation mark on it by saying, “To get everything you want in life, just help someone else get what they want, FIRST!”

I created my Life Mission Statement which is:  “To help people do what they do to do it better!”  Then I used Joe Tye’s Direction-Deflection-Question (DDQ) (www.JoeTye.com) and would ask myself the following question:

Is what I am about to say or do consistent with my desire to help people do what they do to do it better?  That made the decision process very simple!

Some people learn “stuff” and then keep it close to the vest in fear that by sharing the “stuff” someone else may become better at what they do than they are.  Others learn “stuff” and then immediately want to share what they have learned with others because they know that it is not only good for the person, it is good for the company the person works for, it is good for the business the person works in, and therefore ultimately good for the country.  Given the two choices, I chose the latter by sharing what I knew; definitely a win-win for everyone!

So…..what do I make by being a teacher?  Hopefully the agents I taught…….

  • Were good and honest real estate agents
  • Empowered people to buy homes without stress
  • Empowered people to sell homes without stress
  • Had lives worth living*
  • Had businesses worth owning*
  • Had careers worth having*
  • Always did the right thing, especially when no one was watching
  • Would not guess; they would seek to understand the question, then find the answer
  • Would be learning based
  • Would put the customer’s interests above all other parties to the transaction including their own, especially their own
  • Would share their knowledge with others

My reward was not in the paycheck; it never will be for teachers.  My paycheck came daily in the smiles on the faces of successful people.  When they received honors and awards for their business I felt like I had a small part to play in that success.

It is all about numbers.  I teach someone and in turn they teach someone who teaches someone, etc. etc. etc. 

I found the following poem in an abandoned home; unfortunately I know not who wrote it.

Measure of a Man (or Woman)

Not – how did he die?  But – how did he live?
Not – what did he gain?  But – what did he give?
These are the units to measure the worth
Of a man as a man regardless of birth.

Not – what was his station? But – had he a heart?
And how did he play his God-given part?
Was he ever ready with a word of good cheer,
To bring back a smile to banish a tear?

Not – what was his church?  Nor – what was his creed?
But – had he befriended those really in need?
Not – what did the sketch in the newspaper say?
But – how many were sorry when he passed away?

And when my time comes I would add the following to the above and ask each agent the following questions:

Are the people I served better off because of my professionalism?
Is my family and I more prepared for what lies ahead?
Am I a better REALTOR and more importantly, person?
Am I happy because our paths have crossed?

I pray the answers are all YES!

No comments: